May 15th - A few short hours ago we dropped the hook in Chesapeake City, MD. I'll let the captain tell the tale of our adventures since April in our next post. I just wanted to share a recent experience, not really related to boating or even perhaps cruising.
Sunday night we had just returned from an excellent weekend celebrating our grandchildren graduating from their perspective college and university. Our drive back to the Summer Wind had been full of conversation about the educational system and how wonderful it felt to be a part of such a celebration. We had been discussing how we noticed that there were just as many women as men receiving their degree. Not only that, but we discussed the diversity of the nationalities and the support shown for one another.
We were unloading the car when a 'man' walked by with his dog. It's the normal polite thing to say hello and begin a conversation. He had asked how long we were at the marina and inquired if we were spending the summer at the marina. We had both been smiling and told him no we were going to head further north if the weather cooperated. He had then began to tell us how he was a 'liveaboard' from South Carolina. What shocked us next were the next few words that came out of his mouth. He told us the plan was to sail from the country if 'Obama was to be re-elected'. He then said he had enough from blacks. I told him I rather liked Obama and thought him to be an honorable man and then told him Bon Voyage. Not a word was spoken next. The words I really wanted to say to him, just wouldn't come. I was too mortified and sad that such a person still exists into today's world.
2 comments:
Good on you, lets not go backwards.
I avoid politics on my blog, but I posted a piece on AM talk radio the other day. I was dumbfounded at the obsession the talking heads have with Obama, making up all kinds of wild claims of things he's done, such as releasing the Lockerbie Bomber (Scotland did that). They incite hatred and the weak minded soak it up like a sponge.
Obama is a socialist, communist, Moslem (so what if he was. Our next president might be a Mormon), not an American, unAmerican, radical, progressive, etc.
It would be nice if Obama was re-elected and all the bigots would sail away. I wonder where they'd go? Puerto Rico? :)
Good on ya wishing him Bon Voyage!
Post a Comment