Sunday May 2nd, 2010 -Wrightsville Beach ,NC Anchorage- We pulled anchor and headed out shortly before 7:30 in order to make the 8:00 AM opening for Wrightsville Beach Bridge. Even though it was low tide, we didn't have enough clearance to get under the bridge safely. The trip today took us through many shallow sounds that are nortorious for shoaling over, however we only had a few concerns . The water is no longer a tea color because its running along the shallow banks that feed into the ocean and its become quite clear. We noticed many Ospreys on the channel markers all preparing their nests. Our destination today was the Mile Hammock Bay Anchorage in Camp Lejeune. As we were pulling into the anchorage the marines were practicing landing the Osprey airplane. It's a little noisey and the boat vibrates but it is very interesting to watch. In the evening all the practicing stopped so we were able to settle down and go to sleep.
 |
| Pretty in Pink??? |
 |
| Osprey coming in for a landing |
 |
| Camp Lejeune |
Monday May 3rd - Wednesday 5th, 2010 - Normally we check the NOAA weather report in the morning to see if there is anything that will give us concern. Today NOAA was predicting thunderstorms in the afternoon. Our decision was to weigh anchor early and get a head start before mother nature kicked up. As we were travelling down the Camp Lejeune canal on the ICW, at first we thought we were hearing loud thunder and wondered if we made a sound decision to leave. We soon realized that we weren't hearing thunder but more practicing in the distance from the marines. They weren't firing across the ICW so it wasn't closed to boat traffic, but it was indeed very loud. Our destination today was the Spooner's Creek Anchorage. The weather was getting very cloudy and muggy, rain was definitely heading our way. Upon arriving to our anchorage we noticed two sailboats that we had seen in Mile Hammock with us. They must have left really early in the morning. One of the things we planned to do was go for provisions at the Super Walmart. We made the decision to launch the dinghy as soon as we could to beat the 'now evening' thunderstorms. Went ashore and did our provisioning, the dinghy on the return trip was very full with all kinds of food.. The wind was howling so we knew this was the predicted weather front but we were nice and secure. We had a lovely dinner aboard the Summer Wind that evening. Well the overnight stop turned into two overnights, the front was very strong. Temperatures dropped from 90* to 60*, we had sideways rain and unpleasant winds. Tuesday afternoon we noticed Diamond Girl pulling into the anchorage. Both of us talked by radio , neither one of us wanted to venture out into the weather for an evening happy hour if the rain didn't stop. Lo and behold it finally let up shortly before sunset and we were treated to a beautiful rainbow. What a wonderful way to end the evening.
 |
| The last of the show |
 |
| The calm after the storm |
1 comment:
Photos are incredible!
Post a Comment